Breakfast will be available from 7:30 to 8:25 at the school canteen and Morning Meeting will begin at 8:30.
This half-hour meeting of everyone in the program is an important start for the day. Announcements will be made, but more importantly, students will have a chance to report on the previous day's experiences or discuss current topics.
Two Mandarin class periods of an hour each are scheduled before lunch.
Following lunch, 11:30 to 12:25, the afternoon's first class period is devoted to Mandarin and the last class period for the day is for the various workshops and activities found in the Experiences and Courses sections of the website.
Workshops meet three times a week from 3:00 to 4:30, with dinner at 6:00, usually at different restaurants around the city.
On most evenings there will be special programs with speakers, panels, or a Chinese movie.
Students will sign in at their residence by 10:30.
But, typically is hard to describe because of the great variety of activities that are scheduled.
- Three mornings a week small groups will meet before breakfast to learn and practice Taiji, the traditional Chinese morning exercise/martial art, with a Chinese master.
- There will be day-long visits to a nearby water town. Students will plan their own activities for their free days and free afternoons and evenings.
- One night a week we will show and discuss a Chinese film.
- One night a week teachers, TAs, and students will share something that they choose from their journals.
- A social center in the school with TV, DVD player, and sound system will be open all day from breakfast until 10:15 at night each day that activities are scheduled.